by Rick Pidcock
We have just begun a new small group at our church on Tuesday evenings on having a gospel-centered view of finances. The book we have chosen for this series is Money, Possessions, And Eternity by Randy Alcorn. It is a very unique approach to finances because it is not a book about how to achieve your financial goals, but rather about what your financial goals should be from a biblical perspective.
Over the next year, I am going to be posting a brief summary of each chapter that we go over. I hope that it will be as helpful to you as it has been to us. Below, I have included the Table Of Contents for the book so that you can see the topics that we will be discussing.
PART ONE: THE CHALLENGE OF MONEY AND POSSESSIONS
1. Money: Why Is It So Important to God?
2. The Weakness of Asceticism
3. The Nature of Materialism
4. The Dangers of Materialism
5. Materialism In The Church
6. Prosperity Theology: The Gospel of Wealth
PART TWO: SEEING MONEY AND POSSESSIONS IN ETERNITY’S LIGHT
7. Two Treasuries, Two Perspectives, Two Masters
8. The Steward’s Eternal Destiny
9. The Steward’s Eternal Rewards
10. The Steward And the Master
11. The Pilgrim Mentality
PART THREE: GIVING AND SHARING OUR MONEY AND POSSESSIONS
12. Tithing: The Training Wheels of Giving
13. Giving: Reciprocating God’s Grace
14. Helping the Poor and Reaching the Lost
15. Ministry Finances and Fund-Raising: Special Ethical Concerns
PART FOUR: HANDLING OUR MONEY AND POSSESSIONS
16. Making Money, Owning Possessions, and Choosing a Lifestyle
17. Debt: Borrowing and Lending
18. Saving, Retiring, and Insuring
19. Gambling, Investing, Leaving Money
20. Battling Materialism in the Christian Family
21. Teaching Children about Money and Possessions
Conclusion: Where Do We Go From Here?
Randy Alcorn is the founder and director of Eternal Perspective Ministries. He was a pastor for fourteen years and has written twenty books, including Heaven; The Treasure Principle; The Grace & Truth Paradox; The Purity Principle; In Light of Eternity; Perspectives On Heaven; Why ProLife?; ProLife Answers to ProChoice Arguments; The Law of Rewards; Deadline; Dominion; Edge Of Eternity; Lord Foulgrin’s Letters; The Ishbane Conspiracy; and Safely Home. He currently lives with his wife in Gresham Oregon.
You can purchase Money, Possessions, And Eternity online at Amazon for just $10.64.